Pages

Sunday 31 May 2015

Project: Dolls House | Part 1.


For one who has grown up surrounded by dolls houses, this is quite an exciting project.  My nan built her very own dolls house in 1988 and is full of intricate detail, from stain glass windows to hand painted bricks.  Since I can remember, I have admired her Edwardian style dolls house and have longed for my own [pictured below].


After searching the Internet top and bottom for a few weeks, I found a house I really liked.  The Lyddington dolls house.  

This is where the fun starts.. This kit comes in a HUGE package including many little bits.





After sorting and labelling each part of the dolls house, I decided that it would be a lot easier to paint what will end up being the ceilings, before assembling it all together, this way it will be less fiddly and messy.




I went for a slightly off white for the ceiling: attic floor and ceiling: roof as this will be the 'flat' / living area.  Then a magnolia for the ceiling: first floor as this will be the shop.  Ideally I would have liked them to be all matching in colour, but unfortunately, I didn't have enough paint to coat one of the floors, as they all needed two coats.  I used a radiator roller to apply the paint for an even finish, as using a brush will leave the finishing look streaky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment